Skip to main content

About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Barbra Streisand 9, Jason 3, Marlon 3, America 2, New York 2, Shakespeare 2, Obama 2, Marlon Brando 2, Brooklyn 2, Streisand 2, George Bush 2, Newtown 1, Utah 1, Spain 1, Tomato Basil 1, Newark 1, Washington 1, Barack Obama 1, Berkeley 1, God 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012)  

    December 28, 2012
    12:00 - 1:00am PST  

12:00am
12:01am
tonight, the one and only barbra streisand. ♪ of the way we were >> extraordinary hour with the legendary superstar. her incredible career. >> i only began to sing because i couldn't get a job as an actress. >> leading men. greatest love of her life. >> you always ask that of people. why is that? >> and the tragedy that changed everything. >> i think it's disarming. >> her take on plastic surgery and the personal side of fame. >> you see me as this star. i don't see myself like that. >> barbra streisand, the way she is. a funny girl. this is "piers morgan tonight." people ask me who i would most like to have on my show as a guest, one name continuously pops up in my mind. a great actress, an iconic voice.
12:02am
a humanitarian, a wife, a mother, and a funny girl. she is, of course, barbra streisand. i even got your name right. >> did you say barbra? >> barbra, but i said streisand right. we had dinner and you corrected me. streisand. >> that's it, by god, you've got it. >> now, i have just come from watching your brilliant new movie. i don't say that lightly, "guilt trip." the reason i loved it is it reminded me exactly what it would be like if i went on a road trip with my mother. it's about you and seth rogen. you go off on a crazy road trip together. you're the archetypal jewish mother and he's the archetypal son, and hilarity ensues. >> i'm over here.
12:03am
i'm over here. >> i see you, hey. all of newark sees you. >> hi, there. hey, mom. good to see you. >> look at you. >> look at me. >> oh, my god. >> okay. let's get out of the way here. >> sports jacket. >> yeah, i am. >> how did you know how to buy a sports jacket? >> i took a class in it. >> you left the price tag on it. j. crew, my fancy schmancy son. i'm just going to keep it in case it goes on sale. >> it's a really touching movie. i found it really moving. it moved me to tears at one stage, but it's also funny. you had a ball doing it? >> yeah, if you like working that much. yeah, it was fun. it actually was fun. >> do you hate all work, basically? >> no. >> what do you like doing? >> i love -- i love making movies, actually. i love recording. that's what i love. >> you don't like performing in front of people. >> that's odd.
12:04am
>> it is strange. >> i never know what to do during the applause. i don't know what to do. it's like, oh, okay. all right, let's go on to the next thing. it's a strange thing to be live in front of people. >> you consider yourself to be primarily an actress who sings where many people would think you're the greatest singer arguably that has ever been. i would argue that. >> i don't know, but i only began to sing because i couldn't get a job as an actress. >> your dream was to be an actress, a star? you wanted to be a star? >> i think when i was young, i wanted to be a star, until i became a star. then it's a lot of work, you know. work to be a star. i don't enjoy the stardom part. i only enjoy the creative process. >> if i said, look, you can go to a desert island. all you can do for the rest of your life, you can sing, you can direct, you can act, or you can just sit there drinking out of coconuts. >> i would say direct. >> that's the first?
12:05am
>> directing is so interesting. you know, it sort of encompasses everything that you see, that you know, that you have felt, that you've observed. it just -- you know, you can turn the camera on anything, oh, my god. just turn the camera and do -- you're in control of your work. you're in control of your so-called art. i like that. >> when i watched "guilt trip" and we'll come to your own guilt trips because i'm sure there are millions of them, as i have, but it took me back to your early upbringing in many ways because it's about motherhood. it's about a relationship between a mother and her son. you had a very difficult upbringing. you talked about this before, but i found it fascinating. your father died when you were 1. >> 15 months old. >> i was 1 when my father died so i saw that parallel. i was fortunate that my mother remarried somebody who was a fantastic father to me. >> wow.
12:06am
>> you weren't so fortunate. you had this very difficult relationship with your father. i was personally fascinated by that. how much do you think it's scarred you or did it just drive you? >> i think it did scar me more than it drove me. what drove me was the fact that my father's life was cut so short. he died at 35 years old. and it was -- he was listed in a book of great leaders of education. he wrote incredible theses, if that's such a word, with just wonderful observations, and one of them, he was a teacher, and he also taught at a reformatory. he taught english to juvenile delinquents. and i could never read that piece until i got much older and had this certain experience. then i was able to read it. and that was me. in other words, there is so much
12:07am
in the memory or the dna, because i never knew him, but at 16, i had discovered ipson and shakespeare, and when i finally read my father's theses, it was how to teach prisoners and delinquents through ipson and shakespeare, you know? >> had you been able to find out a lot about him and his character and his life? >> not really. although very mystical things happen. you know, i was doing a concert. i can't remember when, several years ago. and i was with my two girlfriends one night at my house, and they were talking about their fathers. and i couldn't relate to them because they had the experience of having a father. i came up to my office after they left and there was a letter.
12:08am
from my father. that had been sent to be through a cousin who has the same streisand name in brooklyn in some synagogue and asked if he was related to me, and she said could you give this to barbra. this was my father's girlfriend when he was 19 years old. >> wow. >> and she found me through my cousin. and it was a poem written to her. but such a beautiful poem. and it talked about love. the only thing really in this world is love, was the moral of the poem. with an enigmatic structure in it that you had to find, you had to find the keys to find his -- such an interesting mind. >> extraordinary. he was 19 when he wrote this? >> yeah. >> what does that make you feel? >> that he was telling me something. that it was to me.
12:09am
>> what was he telling you? >> it was this message that, you know, no matter what, love is the answer. that's why i called my album "love is the answer." also a line from a song. but -- >> your character in the movie, "guilt trip" has been in love, what, to the viewer, has been in love properly twice in her life, to the man she married and then to this other guy that she fell in love with. but how many times have you in your life been properly in love? >> i should have prepared for this because i see you ask everybody. although you didn't ask mike tyson. >> there's a reason for that. >> is that right? i'm trying to think. at least five or six. >> really? see that's fascinating. does the wider world know all of them? >> you didn't ask how long it lasted, this love feeling or
12:10am
whatever. >> how long does it need to last to qualify for proper love, do you think? >> oh, not that long. eight months, would you say? maybe years. >> some people have it literally in a flash. i do believe it can be love at first sight. i know people where that's happened. they have been very happy the rest of their lives together. they get lucky. >> yeah. isn't it interesting? it's a recognition of something. i knew i liked you from the minute, but i didn't know your father died that early. and there is -- you see, we never talked about it. you might have known that about me, but there's something that you recognize in someone's past, and it's a void that you recognize, in a way, don't you think? >> i'm sure you are the same, but you're perennial curious because you never knew this person who despite this was a pivotal part of your life,
12:11am
clearly. you're here. did you feel that your mother properly loved you? or was there a sense always of jealousy you were leading the kind of life perhaps she dreamt of herself? >> she was a wonderful singer. my mother had a great voice. not like mine, not like my sister's, not like my brother's. a high soprano voice, but like a bird. i mean, really beautiful. but i used to say, mom, why didn't you try to get a career as a singer? no, she said, she was too shy. she couldn't do it. i'm basically shy, too. but that makes the difference. you know, how do you succeed if you don't try? >> how did you feel when your mother died, did you feel you had reconciled things with her? >> basically, yeah. little -- a short time before she died, i remember going to her house, and she had alzheimer's, and she didn't
12:12am
recognize me, really. but i started to sing her a melody of something she had sung when she was younger. and that she remembered. and it just shows you the power of music, doesn't it? >> what was it you sang? do you remember? >> it was something that she made a record of when i was 13 and she took me, but it was really because she made the record and i was able to make a record. when i was 13. >> do you think she was proud of you? >> you know what it was? i used to say, mom, how come you never told me i love you? you never said those words or really hugged me. she said, i didn't want you to get a swelled head. she said, i knew that my parents loved me, but they didn't have to tell me all the time. it's a certain coldness, you know? it's not tactile. it's not physical. it's -- i don't know what it is. it's strange to me always.
12:13am
strange to me. >> how are you with your son? >> oh, i just -- i think everything he does is great. you know, i mean, my son, that's unconditional love. i swear. it's a terrible thing to say, but i think my son could do something really bad and i know i would find a way to justify it. >> you sang with your son, jason. this is in september. let's take a look at this because it's very moving. >> what do you have? ♪ how many times a day do i think of you ♪ >> wow. ♪ >> doesn't he have a gorgeous voice? >> an amazing voice. >> look at that. he had never been on stage before. but he has done so much incredible work on himself that
12:14am
he actually could have the courage. he said, i'm never going to perform. i like recording, but i'm never going to perform live. i said, jason, when i heard him sing that song on this record he made, i said, we've got to sing it together. i have to sing that with you. >> it was beautiful to watch. >> wow. >> we found it on the internet. >> how do you like that? i have never seen that before. >> you have never seen that? amazing. >> we have it on a television show that's going to come out, on mother's day, hopefully. >> that's great. let's take a break and come back and talk about jason. you went on a road trip with him. >> we'll come back and talk about politics, the way we were, my favorite movie. i want to know what rocks your political boat. i know for fact a lot does. my conversation with barbra streisand took place before the shooting in utah. she said the horrible tragedy in newtown, connecticut, has
12:15am
brought to the forefront a much needed and long overdue national conversation regarding the lack of gun control and mental health services in the country. i hope it leads our leaders in washington to do something substantive regarding gun control and access to mental health care services for those who desperately need it. we'll be right back. [ woman ] ring. ring. progresso. your soups are so awesomely delicious my husband and i can't stop eating 'em! what's...that... on your head?
12:16am
can curlers! tomato basil, potato with bacon... we've got a lot of empty cans. [ male announcer ] progresso. you gotta taste this soup.
12:17am
12:18am
12:19am
the russians don't want anybody in spain but the spanish. is that scary? they're communists, yes, but they want total disarmament now. is that scary? hitler and mussolini are using the spanish earth as testing ground for what they want. another world war. is that scary? you're darn right it is! >> barbra streisand in "the way we were." that's my single favorite movie of all time. >> really? >> i told robert redford about it. he said he'd been resisting your clarion call for a sequel ever since. >> it's such a good story for a sequel. >> he's never made a sequel to anything, he told me. he just doesn't believe -- >> i understand that. but this happens to be a great story. i wanted it to be released on the 25th anniversary, but we never made it. >> what would have happened? >> it just was a very interesting story about through their daughter and her political
12:20am
activism at berkeley in 1968 and the democratic national convention, which is very interesting. it was a beautiful love story again. >> now, i know that you're into your politics big time because we spent most of the last month e-mailing each other about barack obama and mitt romney. and you were tearing me off a new one, i believe is the american phrase, for what you perceived to be my lack of support for the president. >> that's right. >> i was more interested in the debate we were having. it was a very good one, actually. i found it very informative. >> i kept sending you articles. >> you did. and your man won. >> your man didn't? >> no, i didn't have a horse in the race. i'm british. i can't vote. i don't have the right. but my argument to you was i wondered whether mitt romney could be better for the american economy. >> god no. you know why? >> you were having none of it. >> do you know why? there have been businessmen who have turned presidents, i think herbert hoover, george bush, the first george bush. businessmen.
12:21am
i think there was a couple of others. lousy presidents. businessmen make lousy presidents. >> why have you been so consistently supportive of obama? >> i can't even imagine thinking about what would happen to the supreme court if a republican were the president, you know? i mean, citizens united is a horrible thing that people can spend and waste this amount of money on elections? think of all the -- you know, the people that could benefit from that money, you know? >> there have been two elections since i've been in america, there have been two elections where one party has had far more financial firepower than the other. one was here in california with meg whitman, one was nationally, but romney clearly had more money than obama. for most of that campaign. in both cases, the one with the most money lost. >> isn't that great? >> what does that tell you? >> people are getting smarter. i don't like all this amount of
12:22am
money spent on this election. there should be a give -- campaign finance reform is very important. i hope somebody does something about it. you should have a given amount. equal amount. equal air time and that's it. you know? that idea of corporations being people, no, no. this is a country of, by and for the people, not of, by and for the corporation. you know. because i'm so against gmos, the modified food, and i'm so against lobbying, you know, by chemical companies lobbying, and that proposition 37, you know, was bad. and that's scary because the poison and, you know, the poison in our foods and the air and pollution, and they give discretionary polluters. we're having climate change. the republicans don't seem to want to acknowledge that. it's a major problem.
12:23am
and you have to be a democrat to understand that or to believe in that. >> have you ever been in love with a republican? >> never. >> could you ever be? >> no. >> really? that's fascinating. >> well, unless there was an enormous sexual chemistry and i had to -- and we never talked about politics, maybe, but i can't quite imagine it, no. >> what have been the proudest moments for you with obama? i imagine one of them was when he came out so vocally for gay rights. >> mm-hmm. absolutely. that's great. >> what else? >> what else has he done? >> that you're particularly proud of him doing? >> oh, his stance for women, women. the power of women or not allowing -- just for that one reason. in my show, i would say, i'm not going to tell you -- concert tour, limited concert tour, i would say i'm not going to tell you who to vote for, but if you want clean air and good food and
12:24am
so forth, and if you believe a woman has the right to choose what happens in her own body, in other words, or you think your body belongs to the state, there's a clear choice. how could you -- thank god that akin and mourdock came out with those extremist views. >> extraordinary statements. >> i thought, keep talking, boys, keep talking. >> when you watch the footage of those moments, neither of them had a clue that they said anything remotely contentious. i found that unsettling you could reach the point of potentially becoming a senator and actually have no clue that what you're saying is deeply offensive to many people. >> right. some men, mostly women, right? it was deeply offensive. >> do you feel that there's any form of real equality yet in america for women? >> we're one of the last countries to ever think of having a woman be president. but i think that's possible now, but it wasn't years ago.
12:25am
>> do you think hillary is likely to run in 2016? >> i don't know. but i hope after a four-year rest that she would run because she would be a great woman president. >> let's take another break and come back and talk hollywood. your great love. >> it is. >> i want to know who you think the greatest movie star in the world is, other than yourself.
12:26am
12:27am
12:28am
12:29am
♪ can you hear me ♪ poppy can you see me ♪ papa can you find me in the night ♪ ♪ papa are you near me ♪ papa can you hear me ♪ papa can you help me >> you're wearing the same outfit. you just realized. >> that's very funny. >> what do you think when you see yourself from that era? that was from "yentl" in 1983. >> yeah, what do you think? >> yeah, when you look at yourself. >> i'm so objective when i look at myself when i'm directing a movie and i'm editing. it's always she, her, it's not me. like the character in the movie. >> do you see a beautiful woman there? >> not particularly. >> have you ever looked in the mirror and thought you looked beautiful?
12:30am
>> from certain angles. >> really? which is your best angle? >> well, my left. >> why? >> because my eyes don't look as cross-eyed sometimes. or my nose is better or my mouth is better. >> that's really what you feel? >> yeah, i'm like two different people, i'm two sides, i think. >> let's take another clip from one of my favorite films. this is your film debut "funny girl." ♪ like candy and the sun's a ball of butter ♪ ♪ don't bring around a cloud to rain on my parade ♪ ♪ don't tell me not to fly ♪ i simply got to ♪ if someone takes a spill it's me and not you ♪ ♪ who told you you're allowed to rain on my parade ♪ >> it's odd. >> fabulous, though. >> i don't like to live in the past. i like to live in the present. so it's always odd for me to see -- to see things from the
12:31am
past. >> we've got you from when you're 19 years old. >> you do? >> this will really torment you. >> whoa. 19 years old. ♪ when a bee lie sleeping in the palm of your hand ♪ ♪ you'll bewitched and deeply looked after ♪ >> see, i didn't know then which was my good side. ♪ >> see, i find that utterly spellbinding. all you're thinking of is i look cross-eyed. i'm thinking there's beautiful young woman singing like an angel. >> isn't that sweet? >> two different perspectives. >> we don't appreciate ourselves, most people. interesting. >> how have you resisted the self-masticated plunge into plastic surgery that so many american female stars feel
12:32am
compelled to do? >> i don't trust most people. you know, when i was younger, i thought, god, if only i could take off like that little bit and just shorten it just a little bit, but what if he screws up? you know? so i just -- and i really don't like the idea of changing one's face. you know, like capping the teeth or stuff like that to change a face, no. >> who is the greatest actor you've ever seen? because i know you love acting. it's your great love, your great passion, who do you think? >> marlon brando. >> really? >> no question. why? do you doubt that? >> no, i don't, actually. i think he would definitely -- although i remember interviews dennis hopper once and he said james dean for him had the brando thing as well. >> but brando was first. >> yeah. >> no, he was fascinating. he would call me up sometimes. >> marlon brando would? >> he called me up once and
12:33am
said, sing me a song. and i said, marlon, that's like me asking you to recite hamlet. to which he proceeded to recite from hamlet. >> what did you have to sing? >> i did. >> what did you sing him? >> i sang a song called "nobody's heart belongs to me." >> just down the phone to marlon brando? >> and i remember sitting in my kitchen, i'll never forget this, one of those moments you never forget. this is before they had gizmos to record things. and i'm going -- doing hamlet. so i had to sing him a song. >> what did he say at the end of it? >> i don't remember that. >> was it a regular thing? would he ring you up on a friday night and say, where's my song? >> we once went on a short road trip together. >> you and marlon brando? this is fantastic. where did you go? >> he wanted to take me to the desert to see the wildflowers.
12:34am
>> i bet he did. >> and sleep over in a ghost town he said. >> now we're getting there. >> but i was such a nice jewish girl that i just said, marlon, i can't stay overnight with you. i'll go with you for the day but you have to take me home. >> so marlon clearly wanted to do more than just look at flowers with you? >> he wanted to sleep over in the desert with me. >> you turned down marlon brando? >> yeah, absolutely. >> how did he take rejection? >> it was fine. but i mean, he would do things like -- we would talk for hours and hours sometimes on the phone. it was great. >> what about? i find this mesmerizing. you and marlon brando, the greatest singer and the greatest actor just chewing the fat on the phone. >> yeah, we would talk for hours. interesting, when we went on that road trip, he had just done, you know, the sexual one "last tango in paris." but i never asked him about
12:35am
acting, but he told me, you know, it was interesting when he was telling me, and i'll write about it some day, but when i was older and i was doing my last -- no, i was "nuts," yeah. then he was telling all these things, you know, how he wears an earwig so he could hear the lines. a guy would speak the lines. i was saying to him, jesus, you know, marlon, i didn't want to know the lines of this movie because i was supposed to be under the influence of a drug, in "nuts." but then he started to tell me. but i never wanted to ask him, impose on him. he came to my house once, and he said, okay, before we say anything, look into my eyes and don't smile or anything. see how long you can do it. and actually i was just reading a book about him -- >> how long did you do it? >> i couldn't do it. i kept laughing. but he was amazing. i see in this book that he does
12:36am
that with people. >> amazing. let's take a break, let's come back and talk about singing. >> singing. >> yeah. because i look at you and i see the greatest singer there's ever been. and i want to know how you do it. >> that's sweet. >> it's a fact. you're barbra streisand. >> oh, my god.
12:37am
welcome to chevy's year-end event. so, the 5.3-liter v8 silverado can tow up to 9,600 pounds? 315 horsepower. what's that in reindeer-power? [ laughs ] [ pencil scratches ] [ male announcer ] chevy's giving more. get the best offer of the year -- 0% apr financing for 60 months plus $1,000 holiday bonus cash. plus trade up for an additional $1,000 trade-in allowance. hurry. bonus cash ends january 2nd.
12:38am
12:39am
♪ memories ♪ like the corners of my mind
12:40am
♪ misty watercolor memories ♪ of the way we were >> so when we had dinner, i said to you i found this thing on youtube from you from 1975, a television special called "a funny girl, a funny lady." i said it is so amazing that it's breathtaking. that was the clip. i've played it for a lot of other famous people. i won't embarrass them by saying who it is. they all just sit there, big singers, superstars, and they sit there with their mouths open. >> really? >> it's just almost i would say musical perfection. but also you just look so dazzling in that clip. >> that's so nice. >> what do you feel when you see it? >> i can't see what you see. i really can't. >> really? >> i'm looking at the -- why was i wearing that kind of thing over the black dress? god, my hair was light.
12:41am
and i was a little chubby. >> you weren't chubby! >> no, no, that's okay. it's okay. >> but you weren't. you were beautiful. the interesting thing about you is the singing. come to the amazing success you've had, but the fact that you've got so cripplingly shy when you perform live i found really interesting. you play this huge concert in new york once, 130,000 people. >> 150, that's okay. central park. >> and you forgot the words to a few big songs and it freaked you out so much you didn't perform again live for how long? >> 27 years. >> that's incredible. at the peak of your powers when you could have earned presumably a million dollars a night in vegas, you just stopped. that's some freakout you were going through. >> i know. >> when you get freaked out -- >> when you get freaked out -- >> tell me how you're feeling. because you're barbra streisand. i didn't think that people with your talent could feel that nervous. >> there's probably several people called barbra streisand, meaning, you see me as this star.
12:42am
i don't see myself like that. i'm this girl. i'm this woman. i'm this mother. i'm this wife. you know. i don't dress up. at home, i'm -- i don't like to say schlump. but more like the picture you saw me in. i was very comfortable doing that picture. i wore a sweatsuit and sneakers. >> what i loved about it is you were the least starry superstar i ever met in my life. i was imagining after all these diva stories i read about over the years, which i kind of half hoped were true. >> isn't that terrible? no. >> you weren't remotely divaish. you were very normal and nice. >> i hate to disappoint you. what the hell is a diva? i don't even know. >> have you ever been one? >> no. >> have you ever screamed at people? >> yeah, i scream at people. that doesn't mean -- you know, i scream at my husband. it doesn't make me a diva. >> are you a perfectionist? >> i am proud to say i am.
12:43am
but there is no such thing as perfection, and i found that out when i was 15 years old. i wrote it in my journal that perfection is imperfection. so it has that humanity, a human quality. otherwise it's too cold, right? you can just strive for perfection. better word is excellence. strive for excellence. >> what i love about you is heading towards christmas, you can even sing christmas stuff better than anybody else. watch this. i found this on the internet, too. >> you're kidding me. ♪ silent night >> i like that. ♪ holy night ♪ all is calm ♪ all is bright ♪ round young virgin mother and
12:44am
child ♪ >> do you hear it? >> you're saying you sound hoarse. i've got goosebumps. this is why you are such a perfectionist. it must be why you're so good. >> maybe because i never -- >> never happy. >> i'm never in love with what i do, that's right. >> what things do you do that maybe we wouldn't know? are you a secret painter? do you build things? >> i draw. i actually draw. i take photographs. i wrote a book on design. that's interesting to me. because that's a lot to do with directing, too. it's composition and color and monochromatic frames. and that interests me. >> are you a naturally restless person or can you just completely relax if you want to? >> hmm, i think more so now i can relax. i mean, i really like quiet. i like to read and be quiet and watch films and -- or have
12:45am
interesting conversations. most conversations are not that interesting. that's why i like politics, political -- >> you're great at that. i've had some ding dongs with you which i've thoroughly enjoyed. you give as good as you get. no holds barred. >> no, that was fun. >> let's talk more about the "guilt trip." i want to know what guilt trips you've had in your life. and i want names. >> that's hard.
12:46am
12:47am
12:48am
12:49am
do you want to come on my trip with me, m? >> you want to drive cross country with me? >> yeah. no. it's -- you know, we won't be gone long. it's only eight days in the car together. >> i want to make sure that i'm hearing this correctly. you want to spend a week in a car with your mother. >> more than anything in the world. >> don't you think i might get on your nerves a little bit? >> no, it was just a thought. if you don't want to do it, then fine. i don't want to push you. >> i'm so awful that you can't spend -- >> barbra streisand in "the guilt trip." it's a very warm film. it's funny but also warm and poignant in places. could you ever imagine doing a road trip with your son like that for a week? >> yeah, i could imagine doing that. >> you wouldn't drive each other mad? my mother and i would last probably about a day. >> really? >> yeah, because we're just too similar. there would be too much arguing, i'm sure. she probably wouldn't admit it, but i bet there would be. >> we never did that.
12:50am
i love traveling with him now on my tour. that was great. he brought his dog, i brought my dog, and we ate chosh habal. you know what that is? a chinese delicacy like a hamburger. i've taken my husband on my road trip. >> how did that go? >> it makes us closer. >> i've only met him once or twice, but he seems a very calming influence. a very self-confident, you know -- >> yeah. >> very unstarry, again, i really liked him. he's a very down to earth kind of character. >> he's very different than i am. i'm much more -- >> and how much like. >> frenetic. >> the character you played, joyce, are you in real life? are you neurotic? in a good way. >> probably. i'm on good behavior now. >> let's turn to the future. because you're somebody that i get the feeling just having talked to you as well you don't really like going on about the past. >> no.
12:51am
>> to you it's about what's happening next. >> and being here in the present and being -- it's hard, too, you're trying to be grateful for everything that's positive and not dwell on the negative, but it's in my character to see things more pessimistically than optimistically. so i have to work at that. >> lazy. >> maybe that. your words, not mine. >> you haven't done that many tours or released that many albums by comparisons to many contemporaries over that period, haven't made that many movies. >> right. >> but what you've managed to do is make any time you do anything, you make each time an event that people look forward to. that may be the secret to your incredible longevity. >> it's not conscious. if i'm newly going to the gym, i don't have any desire to work.
12:52am
sometimes work is a substitute -- >> for life. >> for life, that's right. >> your track record, 51 gold albums, 30 platinum, 18 multi-platinum, 18 grammys, that's just the movies, acting and so on. you must have the cabinet the size of the new york yankees. does any of that really motivate you? do you ever look at that and think, yeah, i haven't done badly for a young girl from brooklyn? >> every once in a while. i was building a new house and i decided i'll put them in the room. you can't see them when you walk in but they're there and i do appreciate them now, i must say. i do say i was here, i'm still here.
12:53am
i'm still here but i was here. i think it's because -- and maybe you relate to this -- died so young that i want to be remembered, i want to leave a mark here. and records and films and television show, they do that this they say you existed, you were here and hopefully for good purpose. >> let's take a final break, let's talk about other ways to be remembered. most notably for your charitable work. you've raised a lot of money and made a big difference. >> i hope so.
12:54am
12:55am
12:56am
12:57am
we thought it would be fun to trace your lineage all the way back. >> yes, it turns out jack t. burns that you are 1/23rd israelite. >> welcome to the tribe, jack. >> "little fockers." great fun. with dustin hoffman. did you like making that? >> it's not a challenge. >> let's talk about your philanthropic career. because that's been almost as relentless and productive as anything else you've done. one of the particular things that you're so keen on is women's heart disease. tell me why that's been such a passionate thing for you. >> because, you know -- i'm -- i dislike inequality so much,
12:58am
whether it's gender issues or gay rights or whatever. even in the medical sciences there is discrimination. so it turns out that more women die of heart disease now than all cancers combined. more women die of heart disease rather than men, more women than men die of heart disease. did you know that? i was so shocked by some of these statistics. >> until i researched this interview and i saw why you were so strong about it. >> right. >> it's startling. >> 50 years of research have been done on men. i'll tell you a funny story, too. you realize how powerful females are, okay? that even in the research, a woman doctor discovered how to grow a heart from stem cells in, you know, in a petri dish, whatever. how did she do it? you know how she did it?
12:59am
with only female stem cells because literally the male stem cells got lost. like in life. and they refused to ask for directions. now, this is true. can you imagine that? so i just believe, you know, breast cancer has done such a magnificent job raising millions and millions of dollars to help that disease, but let's say 39,520 women died of breast cancer in the last couple of years. 455,000 died of heart disease. and we haven't learned yet those organizational skills in order to raise awareness and subsequent funds to help that because women have a different -- a smaller vascular system called a micro vascular system. we need different equipment, different diagnostic techniques in order to examine women.